Copyright 2015 Cameron Highlanders Pipe Band. All Rights Reserved.
Cameron Highlanders Pipe Band of Lafayette Hill, PA
The Cameron Highlanders Pipe Band of Pennsylvania was formed in 1949 as the Germantown Pipe Band. In its first incarnation the band was led by pipe major was Bart Hamilton and first drum sergeant was Joe Nichols.
Over time the band grew in stature and size. Many of the band's members were now coming from the different Philadelphia's suburbs, forcing the band to move its practice site to St. Paul's Church of Chestnut Hill. During this move the band changed its name to its present name—the Cameron Highlanders. With it's name change the band also changed uniforms adapting the green and scarlet tunics of the Queen's Own Cameron regiment. Also with changing came the choice of tartan. Again to follow suit with the Queen's regiment the band changed to Cameron of Erracht.
Over the years the band grew in size and in 1979 the band moved to its present practice location—St. Peter's Lutheran Church of Lafayette Hill. Today the pipe band has shaped into a successful Grade IV participant in the Eastern Unites States Pipe Band Association. Though the "regimental" kits have been retired for formal Argyll vest and jackets, the band continues to perform throughout the Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delware communities. Though times have changed the tartan remains the same and the band carries on the tradition of honoring its colours.